Winter is coming...

And alongside it comes all my favourite TV shows, beginning new series, giving us the answer to cliffhangers, introducing new characters for me to fall in love with. I always dread the coming of winter, but the one upside is the renewal of my shows. I'm so full of anticipation!! The next month will be filled with surprises the like of which I can't imagine!!

So here's a quick run down of my favourite TV shows, where they left off and what I'm hoping will happen. If you're not a fan of spoilers, maybe skim over the relevant paragraphs.

And just in case you wondered from the title...no, the new season of Game of Thrones does not start anytime soon. So get that out of your wishful heads.

New Girl

I like New Girl. It's one of those shows that are quite silly and entertaining, but still follows some sort of story line. Thankfully at the end of Season 3, the main character Jess has split up with her flatmate Nick, who I absolutely cannot stand!! This show is so entertaining because Jess is one of those clumsy, ridiculous women who is so absolutely loveable that you can't help but hope everything goes well for her. I'm hoping that in this new series, she'll get back together with that cute doctor she was seeing, or find someone totally new. As for the rest of the characters...well...hopefully Cece and Schmidt will finally work things out!!

The Big Bang Theory

I came to this show late, a few hours after it first started. I didn't watch it at first because I stubbornly insisted that the show was an insult to every geeky scientist out there (myself included of course). However, once I actually sat down and watched it I realised how funny it truly is, and here we are going into Season 8!!

When we last left the show, Penny and Leonard had finally gotten engaged and, even more astoundingly, Sheldon had just experienced his first proper kiss with Amy and loved it!!! Just goes to show, huh? Oh yeah, and Raj has a girlfriend, finally!!! Where will these things all lead? Who knows!!

Downton Abbey

This is only a short TV series, but it is loved by all. Downton Abbey follows the lives of a family of astrocrats in the 1910-20s in England. This drama is one of those where you grow to care for some of the characters, and grow to detest some of the others. One of the greatest parts is portrayed by Dame Maggie Smith who, even at her great age, dominates the show with her feigned snobbery, witticisms and general amazingness.

It's called a drama for a reason, because it's all happening at Downton. The last series was a shocker, with non-marital pregnancies, rape and murder - hardly the stuff you'd associate with an upper class family. And I don't doubt that it's all gonna go haywire from here but really, you just can't predict what will happen in this show. So exciting!!

Grey's Anatomy

I have now been watching and loved Grey's Anatomy since the summer before I started my undergraduate degree. Do the math...hey I'll do it - that's eight years and they are now on Series 11. Sometimes I wonder if the show will ever stop running, but I know that for as long as it does, I will never stop watching. I have grown up with these characters and, every time one of them dies, or leaves the show, I feel like they've left me. I know that they're all acting parts, and they're not really dying, but I still mourn the character they played. I'm such a fool, huh?

The latest in Grey's Anatomy saw the departure of Cristina, who finally left the hospital to go run her own research centre in Switzerland. She's such a hard worker - she deserves it!! More importantly, it looks like Meredith and McDreamy might never agree on whether they'll stay in Seattle or not - I hope their marriage works out. Their love affair was the stuff of dreams!!

Revenge


Ahh...Revenge. A super twisty drama, combining the lives of the super rich in New York and a woman intent on seeking revenge for her father. People die, people come back to life, people gasp a lot. Probably not the best show I've ever seen, but super addictive!! Also, everyone's clothes are incredible. This is why TV shows centre around the lives of rich people, so that they can show off their amazing clothing. Poor people can't afford Dolce & Gabbana. Ovvs.

In the last episode, at least two of the most major characters died, and one who was meant to be dead came out of the woodwork. This means a lot of change in the upcoming season, and I cannot wait to see what that is. Fun times ahead!! And a lot more revenge!!




Once Upon a Time

This is a fairly new series, and one of my new favourites. Just imagine - a modern take on fairy tales!! I absolutely adore it!!

At the end of the last series, the evil Queen's even more evil sister had just been put down, and things were looking set for a happy ever after. Snow White and Charming have just had a new baby, and saved him from being kidnapped. Their daughter has finally fallen in love with Captain Hook, and the cliffhanger at the very end of the episode was when the evil witch's spell worked and the rules of magic were broken. And out of a vortex stepped Elsa, the magical beauty from Frozen. I cannot wait to see what craziness she is going to bring to Storybrooke.


The Walking Dead

Now this is not a show for the faint-hearted. The Walking Dead follows the lives of some people after zombies have taken over the world, but surprisingly enough it is not so much about people battling zombies, but about people battling people. Psychologically it's very interesting, because it's all about learning how to survive in a world where surviving is the only thing. Not my normal type of show, but I love watching it. Just not right before bed - it gives me nightmares!!

The last season of the Walking Dead saw the group split up and run for their lives from their current shelter, a prison. At the end, they made it to some so-called sanctuary, and got captured by the people running the sanctuary. What's going to happen to them now? Cannot wait to find out!!





The Originals


The Originals is a spin-off from the massively popular Vampire Diaries, which I will talk about last (because it's my favourite). It's about the original vampires moving to New Orleans, and trying to retake over the city. Of course absolutely everyone in this show is so beautiful, even when they're covered in blood, fighting or running for their lives.  And they do that in basically every episode.

At the end of the last episode, Claus and his werewolf friend finally had their baby, and managed to elude the crazy witches. They got the baby off to safety with Rebecca, but they'll never be allowed to be involved in her life because of her insanely powerful blood. I'm foreseeing a lot more battle with the werewolves in the new season, and now that Hayley is a hybrid, everything is gonna go crazy. Amazeballs!!


The Vampire Diaries

This is my favourite, of all favourite shows. I love it. I love the people in it, who are all crazy beautiful. It's another of those shows where people are constantly dying, and it hurts so much every time. But in the last season, the last episode, the unthinkable happened. Damon Salvatore, in my eyes the crucial character, died. He died, and as much as I hope he comes back, I don't know if it will.

I cried for hours the night I watched that happen. I couldn't believe it. It was so wrong. Damon and Elena had gone through so much - how could it all fall to pieces now that everything was supposed to go well?

On the plus side though, nearly everyone else who has ever died in this show has now passed through the veil from the Other Side, and have come back to life. This is an immense relief - especially to see Alaric back in the picture. He's another one of my favourites.

But seriously. What's going to happen with Damon? It's all I can think about (sad isn't it). How will I live without him?

Comments