Cooking Weekend

Wow...have I cooked a lot this weekend. Not because I was feeling particularly hungry, but because it's driving winds and -2 degrees outside, and there's nothing else to do but cook or clean. I'll choose cook anytime!!

Yesterday, Caroline came over as she wanted to learn how to make sushi. I'd gone through a phase of doing this recently - a couple of months ago I made about 100 pieces of spicy tuna and salmon classic rolls and rapidly got sick of them when I realised I had to eat them all!! So yesterday we decided to make weird sushi - using nori and sushi rice for the rolls themselves, but using a combination of unusual internal ingredients.

For my insides, I chose to use the following:


  • hot chilli pesto egg omelette, cut into strips
  • mince beef in a home-made teriyaki sauce (garlic, ginger, soya sauce and rice wine vinegar)
  • coriander spiced sweet potato
  • sliced carrot, cucumber and red pepper
Everything set out and ready to go!!

Caroline is a veggie, so she substituted the beef for two types of quorn: one in soya sauce and the other in sweet chilli sauce.

Needless to say, these sushi came awesome. On top of all this, I also managed to whip up a batch of butterscotch and chocolate chip cookies, 

They taste better than they look

and a bunch of curry puffs. I've just spent the last ten minutes trying to find the blog post where I explained what these are and how to make them - but turns out I never got round to writing that. They're basically Singaporean pasties, with a potato-ey and pea curry filling. Soooooper tasty!!!

The final product
This morning I didn't have much time for cooking because I had to proof-read boyfriend's thesis (due in at the end of this week). But after I was done with that I started working on our Sunday roast. I came up with a last minute chorizo and carrot stuffing for the chicken, and a parsley and paprika butter coating for the skin. Came delicious!!! The side dish with carrots, butternut squash, green beans and spinach cooked in a veggie stock was also tremendous, as were the par-chips and a super tasty gravy!!!

Anyway, I am super pleased with all my cooking efforts. We now have a ton of food for the rest of the week (did I mention I also whipped up a barley and chorizo salad for my lunches??) and I'm gonna smell sooo tasty at the pub later tonight :D

Comments