Birthday on the beach

It's now Thursday and as I sit here by the pool, glass of wine in hand, I realise that I've only filled you chaps in on the first couple of days of my holiday here at home, and I've got a lot of writing to do.

Last Tuesday was Jimmy's birthday (a very close friend of the family) and we were all planning a day out at Ghajn Tuffieha. Because it's a public holiday here in Malta, mum and I were hoping to get to the beach super early, in order to skip all the traffic. I didn't need waking up that morning, because I woke up at 7am in extreme pain from the sunburn on my legs. It looked so funny, because it was just sort of patches of redness on the bottom of both legs, and tops of my feet. I smeared a ton of aftersun on them and went to help my mum prepare the food for the beach.

Mummy was making all my favourites. The plan was pretty much for everyone to bring loads of food and share, so we made a whole maltese hobza (loaf of bread) with both kunserva and tomatoes and oil. We also packed some beer and wine and crisps....i.e. lots and lots of food. We had to pick up both my nanna and Jimmy from Sliema, so we set off there around 9am (I know, crazy early!!). We stopped at Deguara, a pie shop on the way, but weren't super impressed with their selection. So after we picked up the nanniet, we stopped at Champs and bought pastizzi, qassatat, a baked wrap from mum and freshly baked apple pies. I know...this sounds super extreme, but the truth is we still haven't even eaten the pies.

David's side of the Zammit family, minus Mike and Bobby
So we arrive down at Ghajn Tuffieha and were absolutely shocked by the cars and people down there (just before 10am). Mum had to drop  us off near the beach and go park at the top of the hill because it was so busy. Luckily, we managed to find a large spot in the sand that wasn't too far from the sea and took over with our sun beds and umbrellas.

Within the next hour, Annemarie, Justin and the twins, followed by Sue, Michel and Cristina, and then David and his family had all shown up. Clearly we were quite a large group of people so we made ourselves super comfortable. I had creamed up (new phrase...does it work??) and immediately went down to the sea. Ghajn Tuffieha beach isn't as nice as Paradise Bay, because the shoreline is all rocky and pebbly and it hurts quite a bit to walk into the sea. Also, it's very seaweedy. But anyway, mum and I manned up and swam quite a few times that day, unlike the others.

I couldn't risk getting burnt again :(
Sebi found a new toy
My uncle had one too many
The rest of the day was pretty awesome. There was lots of sunbathing and banter, and we whipped out the booze and food by 11am, so there was no lack of things to do. I think I started reading my book at one point, but only got about a page in before I was interrupted and distracted. The twins in particular took a bit of looking after, as they were running all over the beach (wearing armbands at least) and we all took it in turns to play with them. And, as always, there was the 3 o'clock ice cream break - I had my favourite nocciola ice cream and it was super taaaaasty!!!

Oli loved cutting the cake
Since it was Jimmy's birthday, nanna brought along a cake for us to sing to and him to cut, and I swear, I've never seen Oli and Sebi eat as much food as they did that cake. Calling it impressive is the understatement of the century!!! However, shortly after that they got kinda sleepy and grumpy, which is never fun. At that point I left them to their parents.






Anyway, eventually we all left the beach and came home. I was kinda desperate for a shower at that point....eurgh, lots of sand. That night was pretty easy going - mum got out some tuna steaks and we sat about and BBQed and drank and had a yummy good time :D

Comments