A Green(-ish) Day for moi

This week at UCLan they're holding some sort of 'Green' Week. Now I'm not one who particularly cares for the environment. I don't litter or anything, and I recycle my wine bottles and strongbow cans, but if there's a £2 difference between Tesco and organic chicken you can bet that I'm buying Tesco's. It all tastes the same in the end.

Anyway, I had a quick look through the program for UCLan's Green Week. Most things made me roll my eyes: a lecture on what you can and cannot flush?? Seriously?? However, yesterday's events definitely struck my interest. They had a farmer's market going on in the Atrium (that's the upstairs bit of our students' union), which included selling exotic meat burgers and they were giving out free seeds, compost and little cups in another area.

So we gave it a go. Instead of sitting in our normal place in the cafeteria, a few Ph.D students and I trekked across in the freezing cold to the Atrium. Surprisingly, it was absolutely packed full of students, which I had totally expected it to be. We went straight up to the burger stand and, after a minute or two of debate, I ordered a kangaroo burger. This wasn't perhaps the most exotic meat I could have ordered, but I do love the taste of those jumping rascals. I packed my burger with a mix of the yummy relishes they had on offer and ate it surprisingly quickly.

The others ordered bison and wild boar burgers, which they said were all excellent. However, we were still eager to try other things, so boyfriend and I split a zebra burger. And btw peeps, if you want to taste an exotic burger that actually tastes exotic, this is the type to go for!! I can't quite place the taste, but it was a little bit like a mix of horse and black pudding. And super yummy!!

Afterwards we had a bit of a walk around the market, which wasn't very big. They had a huge selection of jams, honey, veggies and fudge (yeah, I found that one a bit odd) so we bought a couple of things. Unfortunately, while all the stuff we bought is super yummy and fresh, it's also super expensive when you compare it with the stuff you can get at the supermarket. I have no intention of entering the expensive green vs. cheap bad for the environment debate but, realistically, you are never going to convince broke university students that green is the way to go while it's so expensive. And I know this because I was a broke uni student.

Anyhoo, back to the fun-ness of my day. We went to the little potting tent where they were giving out cheese and had an array of different herb and veggie seeds that they were giving out. I've always wanted to grow chilli peppers, so I got a little cup filled with those seeds, and boyfriend got a cup filled with spring onion seeds. Now if we can make them grow it'll be a miracle!!

After that, we went back to the office, drank lots of tea and wished fervently for a burger stall to come visit us once a month. Zebra is soooooo tasty, and next time I want an ostrich burger!!

Comments