Week 1 - Lockdown 2.0

 Hi everyone!

Lol, I started typing and realise I've started this post like a 'Dear Diary' sort of thing 😆

It's been a week since Lockdown 2.0 has come into being and we, like everyone else, are struggling through it. I can't decide if it's been made easier or harder by not having work this week - I guess this will provide a useful counterfactual next week when I am actually back at work. But so far, week 1 hasn't gone too badly and hopefully that will pave the way for a somewhat smooth (and not too boring) next three weeks.

I've established quite the routine during the week. In the morning I drink tea, make eggs and write my blog. Then I try to spend an hour or two on Coursera - I'm currently brushing up on my Bayesian statistics ahead of the new job. It's funny how all those mathsy techniques that I haven't done in years come back to you once you sit down with pen and paper and a requirement to answer a question. After that, I pack a little picnic (typically miso soup and a wrap of some sort) and head off on my pilgrimage of the day. Sadly no new walks have been introduced this week: I've done my old favourites - mooching through Joyden's woods and Foots Cray meadows - and picked up a couple of walks that I did for the first time last week - the gorgeous Dartford marshes and the (perhaps slightly too long) Scadbury park (it's 6 miles away!). I did the latter one yesterday, but didn't actually make it all the way there. Word to the wise: don't take a shortcut through unknown woods as you will get lost and spend an hour walking around thorny undergrowth and debating whether climbing a fence is your only way out of the tangle. Stressful!!!

I'm usually dead on my feet about the 20-25km I walk each day, so my evenings have that relaxed feel to them. With sunset coming at 4.30, I draw the curtains, light some candles and indulge in some Gilmore Girls, Stardew Valley on my Switch and a fun meal to cook.

Time to review my goals for the week.

Goal 1: Burn 2500 calories a day. 

Yes! Other than Sunday (day of rest innit?) I have managed to beat 2,500 each day, quite substantially on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. But this was the easy week - next week I'm going to have to change things up, perhaps doing some youtube classes in the evenings and turning my walks into runs to up the intensity of my exercise and make better use of the time. I'm also aware that I'm running low on audiobooks. After I finish my current one (Tana French's excellent new book: the Seeker) I might have to return to podcasts for a while. But recommendations are always appreciated.

Goal 2: Cook at least one new recipe a week. 

This is easy because, as I mentioned in a previous blog, cheese souffle and bread sauce already happened this week. I'm going to consider the weeks going from Thursday to Thursday based on lockdown beginnings and ends. I've already got a plan for next week's new recipe (hint: we're doing tapas on Saturday and I've got some scallops ready to be cooked).

On the recipes front though, I've truly indulged this week, cooking up chicken rogan josh with lentil dal and aubergine pickle, korean stir fried seabass, organic braai pork and pizzas last night. Super naughty!!

My plating up defo
needs work!
Curry night


Korean seabass
(courtesy of fishbox)
Pizza party!









Goal 3: Prep for a truly excellent Christmas at home. 

Hmmm, this hasn't progressed as much. I found a potential Christmas tree company that does delivery and is well priced, but am having problems with the website. I may need to look elsewhere. I also haven't made any progress on thinking about presents. However, we do have some Christmas planning time set aside for the weekend!

Goal 4: Excel at new job, but consider work-life balance. 

I haven't even started the job yet, but I've been doing a little pre-reading this week and my Coursera course. I've been careful to make sure those don't interfere with my exercise though. I'm just swapped out cleaning instead 😂 Work-life balance sorted!

Goal 5: Treat myself to something every week. 

This week's treat was getting my office sorted. It was in need of a little more decor and was getting a bit messy. I have to say how impressed I am with Wayfair's delivery service - they're so quick! I ordered some new bits and bobs on Saturday and they've already arrived, so now I'm very happy with how my office is looking. Not to mention the lovely view I have of my garden from there.

Imagine - this used to be the spare room!

And to be honest, I think that's everything I've gotten up to this week. Obviously Masterchef the Professionals is a big part of my life now that it's started up again, and I'm excited about the final episodes of Bake-off. I managed to make it to Thursday this week without any alcohol (and that is an achievement, let me tell you!). So let the countdown continue....if everything stays the same or improves it's just three weeks to go and then we'll have the next Covid challenge to deal with.

TTFN!

Comments