Top ten countries - Take 2

Back in 2012, I wrote a post about travelling and the top ten countries that I've visited. It's been seven years, and I count myself very lucky in saying that I've visited quite a few new countries since then, and want to update that blog post. Because some of these visits have been to familiar countries, but new places (let's face it - America is huge), I'll be focussing this post on specific places.

Oahu, Hawaii - I was so incredible lucky to get to go on a visit to Oahu last year. My only regret is that we couldn't spend more time there and go to visit the other islands, especially Maui, which is apparently the place you got to if you're a foodie. I had so many great experiences on this trip - learning to scuba dive, all the poke bowls, visiting Pearl Harbour and so many more. I fully intend to return to Hawaii in the future and explore the other islands more fully. At least until then, it remains top of my list.

Sri Lanka - I've regaled you all with news of my trip to Sri Lanka. In some respects, there were issues with that trip and they largely stem from the country trying to cater too much to the 'Western tourist'. However I feel we were able to dig deep into the country's culture and history, and I appreciated that so much. We probably won't end up going back there given the recent troubles and the fact that there are so may other places to see. But I loved that trip so much :D

San Francisco - a specific place this time. We spent three days here on our honeymoon and although I'd been to San Fran before, getting to go there as an adult - wine tours, trekking, Burmese food - made it all the sweeter. A definite revisit is on the horizon.

Alaska - another key part of our honeymoon: we spent ten days cruising through the inner Alaskan passage. The highlight was certainly the day we spent cruising in Glacier Bay, but the lumberjack show and husky sledding were other quintessential elements of this trip that we enjoyed ever so much.Given that it was June, I was hoping for better weather, but I still managed to get a sunburn at one point.

Merida, Mexico - the capital of the Yucatan region, we went there for a friend's wedding earlier this year. What a beautiful place Merida is - a big city, with loads of culture, beauty and good food (very important). It's where we got our first taste of Mezcal, had a little Stonyhurst reunion and just a wonderful time. I won't regret not having to go guayabera shopping again...

Zanzibar (Zuzubar) - again, I've regaled you with stories of our trip to Zanzibar (I think - maybe I should double check whether I ever posted that story). A cheeky little 30th celebration with some of my best friends, we had a wonderful time because we stayed in an amazing all-inclusive five star resort on the beach. It gave me my first taste of scuba diving and I got a great tan. Unfortunately, I don't see myself going on a repeat trip there, due to the bad experience we had on the flights and the sadness I felt when exploring the country itself.

Siem Reap, Cambodia - we got to spend a wonderful three days here in between visiting Thailand and Hong Kong as part of a graduation present given to me by my dad. We spent a full day exploring the temples at Siem Reap, watching the sun rise over Angkor Wat (we are such ridiculous tourists), nearly dying of perspiration whilst climbing to the top of EVERY temple, eating great food (including crocodile) and just generally having a wonderful time. Another one for the 'must revisit' list, but not for a few years yet.

Valencia - now this is a special one. We randomly visited Valencia a couple of summers ago as part of a trip in the area - Barcelona, Valencia and Alicante. And my goodness - we fell in love with Valencia to the extent that we returned there six months later! I'm not sure what it is about this place that I love so much....perhaps it's the perfect mixture of the new with the old (haha the City of Arts and Sciences is gold!), not too many tourists, so much to do and such great food. Whatever it was, we will be back again and again, and not even losing my passport whilst cycling in the old river is enough to put me off!

Majorca - an oldie but a goodie. We went back to Majorca for New Years in 2017 and I found, as I often do, that going there with someone who hasn't been before (i.e. husband) changes it all for me. I experienced a few new cocktails, some new food, a good number of walks with my mum and a decent batch of history. A thoroughly good trip, without too much travel required to boot.

Malta -  a bit of a cheeky one, but why not? Malta is one of my favourite countries in the world (I'm not biased) and getting to head back there with husband and various friends over the past few years has helped me to see it in a new light. I go for walks there and discover new amazing nature trails. I've rediscovered some of the history. I never regret a day in Mellieha, basking in the sun, nor fail to appreciate the country's beauty. Issues it may have. But it certainly makes this list.

....But where to next?

So far, I've got South Africa booked for this year. It'll round off the rest of my annual leave, and I'm so excited about it. I'm planning to do some scuba with sharks, ride an ostrich, go on a safari and eat ALLLLLL the springbok. And not to forget the wine tram of course. Oh yes, and we're taking mum for her sixtieth birthday, so this officially makes me the best daughter in the world 😆

Future years are relatively unknown. On our list of things to do is a road trip across the Southern States in the US, looking to follow the Guy Fieri Diners, Drive-ins and Dives trail. What does that mean you ask? It means we are gonna eat all the good food. Other than that, who knows? A cruise around Croatia and Greece maybe. Perhaps a little jaunt to Lebanon. I'd love to take some time off work and spend a couple of months in New Zealand. The best thing about our life is we take it as it comes, and most of that is spontaneous. What could be better?

Comments