Maltese Fair - After

I can't even begin to describe how excited I was when I woke up last Saturday, because finally Malta day had arrived. Nothing is guaranteed to put a smile on my face as a day filled with crowds of Maltese and the anticipation of pastizzi for breakfast. 

And that's exactly what we did. It took forever to get to the fair because once again the bus replacement service was in action between Belvedere and Plumstead, so the train journey into central London took twice as long as usual (I cannot wait for this to no longer be a weekend thing here - I hate waiting for the replacement bus). By the time we arrived at Westminster Cathedral and found the hall where the fair was taking place it was about eleven o'clock, and the courtyard was already filled with Maltese scoffing their pastizzi and hobz biz-zejt, with kinnie or cisk to wash it down with. We soon joined them - I got my favourite pastizzi tal-pizelli (it's like a filo pastry pie filled with a mushy pea mixture - way more delicious than it sounds I promise!!!) and I got boyfriend a ricotta pastizz. We also got a pea qassatat to share - again this is like a pie with the most delicious pastry and it had a pea, spinach and fennel filling. I thought it was delicious but boyfriend didn't really like the aniseed flavour. Sad face for him.
Observing from above

The wine stand was shockingly unpopular
After this we went on a bit of a wander around the fair - it was mostly full of older Maltese people standing around having a chat (very sad I didn't know anyone), and there were plenty of stalls selling food, drinks and Maltese nick-nacks. We went and bought all our favourite things: frozen Maltese sausages (boyfriend's absolute favourite), galletti, gbejniet (which were waaaaay overpriced but totes worth it), kunserva and I also got boyfriend an qaghaq tal-ghasel, which is basically a honey ring. I've never liked qaghqaghs, but then I'm not a big dessert person.

After all this wandering around, we bought a couple of cold cisks and went to sit in the balcony to people watch and listen to the Maltese band (banda) playing. It was pure heaven (as was that cisk). 

Maltese banda
We decided not to attend the mass later in the afternoon, as we had other plans, so we left shortly after this and wandered around to find a pub that was showing the City vs Arsenal game. We ended up in the Grafton Arms on Strutton Ground, just around the corner from my office (typical huh?). It's actually not super overpriced in there, they had plenty of screens and three different ciders on tap (although unfortunately not strongbow). Anyway, boyfriend was happy to sit there and watch his game whilst I enjoyed my pints of Aspalls and a trashy magazine, and eventually we shared a very calorific platter of nachos, sausages and onion rings. Naughty naughty!!

My life = complete
tasty Maltese treats
My friend Joe was over from the States for a conference, and despite a hangover from a night out in Oxford, he eventually managed to join us at the pub. A few more friends from St Andrews also turned up - I'd had no idea they were in London and one of them even works around the corner from me. This will hopefully lead to some exciting pub times in the future.

All too soon we had to go because we didn't want to stay out for dinner, and had to navigate the bus replacement home. Boyfriend very cheekily tried to convince me to get fish and chips for dinner, but I was having none of it, so we settled on the sofa with a cisk and  a pork stir fry, and watched Dr Who. I totes fell asleep halfway through it though - those episodes are long!!

Our night could have gone a different way if we'd bought tickets for the Malta Dinner and Dance Gala that was being held at a fancy hotel in Covent Garden. Apparently the Maltese president  Marie Louise Coleira Preca was in attendance - I've never met her before, so it's a shame I missed it. I'm hoping to make it to the Christmas ball though - I'm sure that will be splendid. And there's loads of other Maltese events happening in the future in London - can't wait!!!





Comments