25 years and counting...

Every year we get a little older, and every year we celebrate the day of our birth - admittedly some more than others. I in particular consider my birthday to be the ultimate day of celebration: a day where everyone pays homage to me; my special day; me me ME!!

I don't think this is a selfish attitude to adopt. I will happily celebrate someone's birthday with their happiness and enjoyment at the forefront of my mind, and therefore I consider the same approach should be adopted towards me.

Given these statements, I would like to thank all the friends and family who this year, on my 25th birthday, made a true effort to ensure I had an incredible day. It was certainly a cornerstone date - not only had I reached the grand old age of half of half a century, but it was a Saturday and not a day to be wasted!! Which is why I chose to celebrate all day, hanging out at one of my local pubs over the football during the afternoon, then gathering momentum by going for more drinks and dinner and then more drinks and finally, heading out to an 80/90s club to dance the night away.

hairy...
Obviously getting presents is one of the fun parts of anyone's birthday, and I got lots of great gifts this year. I won't name them all, but amidst the single malt and DVDs and books and jewellery, there were some exceptional items, including a Kenwood mixer from mother, Lion King tickets from a superb and patient boyfriend, and an array of moustachios from Caroline. Needless to say, they made an appearance later on in the evening, and we were alarmed (or maybe pleasantly surprised) to discover that we looked good when 'tached up.

Dan showing off his fake 'tache
As an aside, our antics with the moustaches convinced a member of our party to participate in Movember, an event people should be aware of and possibly even donate towards :D

I was also exceptionally happy that on top of my Preston friends attending, several of my St Andrews friends had made the journey to come celebrate with me. Joe and Morvy journeyed down from Saints, and were unlucky enough to be confronted with dog excrement on the ride back (that is love!!). Geoff made the journey all the way from Cambridge, Emma came over from Leeds and Dr Jownze found time to come along for a few drinks in the afternoon. We celebrated in true St Andrews style.

Sadly, the day was over all too soon, but the presence of all my visitors meant plenty of chat and fun for the rest of the weekend. Maybe next year I'll tone down my birthday celebrations as I'll be approaching my late twenties.....but it's not very likely :D

Comments