Flying the Qantas Way

Given that I've just spend the past 36 hours in taxis, trains, planes and cars, I feel this merits blogging about. It has been a very entertaining trip to Melbourne....let me fill you in.

The weather last Saturday was absolutely amazing in Preston, so we had a picnic in Moor Park and sunbathed a bit. This turned out to be a bit of an error, as I managed to sunburn the back of my neck. Remind me never to wear pigtails when sunbathing again. 

Anyway, my flight from Manchester was at 7.30pm, so I called a cab to pick me up from my house (I had a mahoosive suitcase). Somehow, the blonde (assumed) on the other end of the phone line booked my taxi for the wrong time so I called up and insisted they send me a taxi, but still managed to miss my train. I was devastated!! Clearly I am so organised that I had plenty of time to catch the next train, but there were delays all down the West Coast, and I was seriously worried about missing my flight.

Long story short....I made my flight. The first plane was a quickie flight to Heathrow, which gave me plenty of time to wander around the duty free before my next flight. However, I did have to deal with changing terminals, which is always such a trauma as they insist on making us go back through security. Did have a bit of banter though, with an Australian chef carrying a snowboard, and a helicopter man flying to Hong Kong. BANTER!!

My next flight was the super jumbo plane, and my seat was right at the back. I had a window seat, which in retrospect was a bit of an error for a 13 hour flight. Especially since the flight was completely full. At least for once I wasn't sat next to a super massive fat man, who snores in my face and dribbles on my shoulder. Instead, there was a tiny woman sitting next to me who looked kinda odd and.....now this is really gross....every time we had a meal she ate the butter with her spoon!! Eeuurghhh. I'm not usually squeemish but this made me feel sooo sick.

The 13 hours passed pretty quickly actually. The plane food wasn't too bad, I slept loads and watched some films and next thing I knew, we were in Singapore. Even though my flight was continuing onto Melbourne we all had to disenbark the aircraft here, which was so necessary. I had a bit of a stroll around the airport and then got back on the plane for another 9 hour flight. It was harder to sleep on this one though, so the time went a lot more slowly. I got to see that lady eat some more butter.

Finally I landed in Melbourne. Immigration was too tedious and Brad was waiting to pick me up (even though it was super early in the morning here). So now my trip has really begun :D

Comments