It's a small, small world

It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all
It's a small, small world



Do you know how many times I've heard this song? I don't, but I know that I've heard it very recently, thanks to my sister's recent sojourn in Disney Land in LA. For mine and my mother's benefit, she went on the ride, designed for the very youngest of children, and sent us a video of the experience. I might have enjoyed if, as a child, my sister hadn't dragged me on that ride three times as day every single day we went to Disney World.

In the presence of royalty
Let's do the math, shall we? I've been to Disney World three times (the Orlando version of course - I'm not a heathen). Each time we stayed there for two weeks, and we will have visited Magic Kingdom between 2-3 times on each visit. Magic Kingdom is where this loathsome ride resides. Therefore, I have been on the It's a Small World Ride approximately 20 times. And that's not counting when we visited Disney Land in Hong Kong (twice) and she also dragged me on that ride. Each ride was about ten minutes long (seriously - you just sit in a boat and listen to that song over and over, whilst looking at some pretty stereotypical (venturing on racist in some cases) scenes of dancing puppets from different countries in the world. So that's a minimum of three hours of my life that I will never get back. Massive sad face.

Not fooled for a moment
Why am I talking (blogging!!) about this? Because I wanted a good lead on to talk about Disney World and associated theme parks, how much I love them and how much I can't wait to return.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been to Orlando's Disney World three times. The first time I was only seven years old, and only have vague recollections of the experience. I spent most of my time there chasing after all those people in Disney character costumes, and getting their autograph in my little book. I totally filled that book on that trip, although I have no idea where it is now. I think I thought the actors in those costumes were the real deal - obviously I wasn't fooled by the Mickey Mouse costumes, but Cinderella looked remarkably like the one in the movie. Just a note on that - it's worth going to Disney Land Hong Kong just to see all the Asian Ariels and Cinderellas. Lolsers!!


Halloooo....John Smith!! Oh yeah, you too Pocahontas

The next couple of times we returned to Orlando I was more of an age to really enjoy the experience. We spent some time at the Magic Kingdom, but I mostly wanted to fly around on Space Mountain and the Tower of Terror. I've also always loved the Brer Rabbit ride, which is water based, and as I recall ends with a bit of a splashdown. Amazeballs!! Oh, and the Disney parades are absolutely fantastic too - they really embody the whole Magic Kingdom vibe, and it's one of the highlights of the day.

However, I much prefer visiting all the other theme parks, with the realy thrilling rides. Universal Studios is one of my favourites, especially because of its associated theme parks. One of these is the Island of Adventure, and it truly is that. My favourite rides there are the dragon rollercoaster (a paralled set of two red and green rollercoasters with dragon heads, continuously looping upside down and looking like they're going to collide) and the Hulk (a big green rollercoaster that spends more time upside down than the right way around, and gives you a bit of a shock with some dry ice). I've taken my mum on both of these, partly against her will, and I've never seen anyone's face go so green before! But I love them!!

Apparently now Universal Studios have opened up another theme park: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!! Now anyone who has read this blog before know my slight penchant for Harry Potter....who am I kidding, remember my Wizarding School story?? I love HP!! So now I absolutely have to go back there so that I can experience this magical magical world. I have no idea what rides they have: I'm too scared to find out for fear of selling everything I own, jumping on a plane and living there for the rest of my life. But I bet there's some sort of riding broomsticks ride. And a dragons ride. And and and a Bertie Botts every flavour beans and chocolate frogs dispensary. Ooooh, just thinking and typing about it has gotten me so excited I won't be able to concentrate for the rest of the day!!!

err..so...what was I saying?? Ah yes, I also wanted to mention the water parks of Orlando. My favourite one was always Typhoon Lagoon which, as suggested by its name, is a big lagoon with artificially generated waves (and I mean HUGE!!!! waves) every five minutes. And it has a lazy river too, for those people (wimps) who don't want to face the water. It's so much fun.

Anyway, I'm hoping to arrange a trip up to Orlando in the next couple of years. I have a deeply seeded yearning to return, and see the Magical World of HP. Also, I've never been to Bush Gardens, which I hear has a huge number of fear-instilling rollercoasters. And I'll probably return to the Magic Kingdom too, because I want to see all the Frozen characters and rides, and get Princess Ana's and Princess Elsa's autograph for my godson. The only place I don't want to go is the Small World Ride. No Way!!!!!

Comments