Farewell Robin

I feel like the title to this blog should be the title for a film, dedicated to honouring a man who was not known for his supreme acting skills (although he had these in abundance) but was known for his ability to make people feel special. He did this by playing roles in feel-good films, and playing them so spectacularly that his characters felt completely real. 

Robin Williams, comedian, actor..a name synonymous with fun, laughter and Peter Pan. Actually he is known for so many key roles: some of my favourites include Genie from Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire, and yes, Peter Pan from Hook. There are hundreds more, and everyone has their best moments that they remember him for, but those are mine. It is so sad to think that he is no longer with us - we can no longer wait expectantly for his next genius film. Tragic really.

I am not going to dispute or discuss the fact that Robin Williams committed suicide. The causes or reasons for this were his business, and that of his family. I don't know any of the details and, although he took his own life, I don't respect him less or love him any less. I am here celebrating the actor and comedian, not the man himself.

Lol!! When his/her teeth fell out I thought I would die!!
The other night Mrs Doubtfire was on television, and thankfully I noticed it, because I haven't watched the film for many, many years. That night I went to bed on a high, because of the sheer happiness that that little old lady (portrayed by Robin) instilled in me. Nothing made me chuckle more than observing Robin in lady's dress downing a pint of beer, whilst ogling a bikini-clad lady's arse. Nothing made me cringe worse than watching the mess he got into when he double booked himself in for two events at the same restaurant. That movie is perfect, and mostly because of the combination of Robin Williams and that darling cute girl who later went on to play Matilda!!

This weekend I'm planning to rewatch Aladdin, even though I've seen it a million times before. I'd never really thought about the fact that it's Robin playing the voice of genie, and now that I know that, it seems so obvious. I can't believe I never picked up on it before. I'm going to try and pick apart the film this time, searching for the jokes I think Robin might have come up with himself. Also, I'll never be able to separate thoughts of genie from Robin again - I can't believe I once dressed up as genie for a shinty night out!! Luckily I don't have any pictures of that madcap night!!


Grown up Peter Pan!!
Last film for me to discuss: Hook!! This is a film I grew up with, and I always loved it even though it wasn't a cartoon. Surprisingly, a few summers ago I learnt that the son of a family friend was currently obsessed with this same film. The boy was only about six years old, and I couldn't believe that this old film had transcended to this generation, to a kid who was growing up with high-res cartoons and films. It rekindled my love for the film too, although as I grew older I grew sympathetic to that old rogue, Captain Hook, who just wanted to be young forever. I totes feel the same way.

Highlight of the film Hook?? When they imagine all that sumptious food (that actually looks like it's made of playdough and paint when they tuck into it. I dream of sitting down to a table like that, but maybe with real food. Imaginary stuff just doesn't do it for me.

So that's my little tribute to Robin Williams. A fine actor, a mentor for some and certainly an entertainer for all. You will be missed.

Comments