The Daily Commute - how do you deal??

With the exception of those lucky (or maybe not) individuals who work from home, people typically have to deal with a daily commute to work. Everyone's is different of course...some people live within walking distance of their workplace (I did in Preston and it was cheap and convenient, but man did I get bored walking up abd down the same street everyday). Many people drive, take the bus or a train or maybe some combination of these. Some people even have to fly to their workplace on a regular basis...I so don't have the patience or cash to do that, otherwise I would be in Malta a helluva lot more. But really, this post is aimed at those people who, like me, have a moderate to long train/tube journey where they have to wrestle the crowds to find a seat and then have to pass the rest of the time simply watching the same torturous sights go by.

Some people sleep on these trips, but I would never dare - I'm definitely the sort of person who would miss my stop and wake up to find I've arrived at some tiny village on the seaside. A lot of women do their makeup on the train - it's the perfect way to blind yourself when you get jolted just at the wrong moment. I'd rather just go makeup-less than suffer through that. And a surprising number of people read the metro in the morning. Why surprising, you ask? It is free after all. I find it surprising because in this modern age where nearly everyone can access the news through the media of their smartphones and tablets, which are much more portable than broadsheets, why would you want to muss your hands with newspaper ink? Ugh!!

What do I do on the commute, I hear you ask? I wish I could say I'm one of those people who puts that time to good use. The amount of time I spend on trains is more than enough to learn a new language (I was never very good at languages though) or learn about stockbroking or maybe teach myself new programming languages. But I can do that last thing at work anyway...

Mostly I spend the time doing a combination of three things. There's blogging of course - no way could I get all these posts written if I didn't spend some of my travel time on them. I always have my kindle with me, so when I'm not in the mood to blog, or when I'm simply lacking on the inagination front, I immerse myself in some of my favourite books. At the moment I'm rereading Dance of Dragons by George Martin, but there's a few new books that I've been dying to get through. And for those days when I'm feeling particularly geeky, I whip out my nintendo 3DS, which makes the time pass even more quickly than usual!!!

The one thing I'm working on trying to avoid doing is taking my tablet with me and simply watching episodes of Pretty Little Liars or Trueblood on my journeys. For one, it would be tres awkward if some innocent bystander were to look over my shoulder during one of those more risque true blood moments. For another...don't I watch enough tv as it is?

So for now, while the daily commute is still relatively new, I'm gonna stick to my relaxing blogging and reading activities, but hopefully in the future I'll be able to push myself into something more productive. Maybe I'll actually get started on writing my book!!

Comments