First bank holiday as a working girl

Not THAT sort of working girl.....

But seriously, the August Bank holiday was my first Bank holiday since starting work (and, alas, my last for a while to come), and I've never appreciated these excess days off so much before. Luckily my boss was nice enough to let me take an extra day and a half off so that we could head up to Newcastle for a few days and celebrate boyfriend's dad's birthday. You've all heard about the miserable time we had getting up here, but things took a change for the better once we actually arrived. 

The highlight for me was being able to stay up late and not having to get out of bed until I wanted to. I'm rewatching season three of Pretty Little Liars, and I thoroughly enjoy waking up and staying in bed watching episode after episode until my desperate desire for a cup of tea awakens and lures me downstairs. Also, I'm always given boyfriend's single bed in his well decorated Manchester United themed bedroom (seriously, the curtains, duvet and everything else are Man U themed), and that bed is super comfy, made all the comfier by the knowledge that boyfriend is sleeping on the lumpy sofa bed in the next room. I should feel guilty, but I'm just not that person.

Pork Saganaki
(Aphrodite restaurant)
Chicken Souvlaki
(Aphrodite restaurant)

















We totally (over-)indulged in some of our guilty pleasures whilst we were up in Newcastle, as per usual. My two guiltiest pleasures are of course eating lots and drinking lots. They were so prepared for my arrival this time that I even had a four pack of strongbow waiting for me, all nice and cool in the garage. We totally pigged out at pizza hut one day, went to the lovely Cypriot restaurant 'the Aphrodite' down the road in the evening, and as my special treat, boyfriend cooked me a delicious gourmet lunch one day. He must be paying attention when I cook for him, because he presented me with this beautiful dish of venison burger topped with slices of beetroot and fried onion, with a ciabatta base, and parchips (parsnip chips) on the side. Soooo tasty - everyone else in the room looked totally envious as I tucked in and they only had a boring sandwich for their lunch. Mwahahaha!!

On one of the days we went to the glass centre in Sunderland - read all about that in tomorrow's blog. And on another we went to the Metrocentre, which is a huge shopping mall in Newcastle. I have to say that the transport links around there are really convenient - the train delivers you straight to the Metro centre and it only takes twenty minutes to get there from the 'burbs where they dwell. I got to spend a full hour in M&S, as it turned out to be the once a year when boyfriend decides he needs both new trousers and new jeans, and I have to help him figure out the correct size. However I totes managed to pick up a few new items for myself, including Season 1 of the Vampire Diaries from the CEX store (total bargain - £4!!!!)

The Bank holiday Monday was boyfriend's dad's birthday. We spent a pretty relaxing day - it wasn't raining for once so we managed to get a walk in (and picked up some stottie, which is a Geordie bread that I will totes be baking as soon as I get some free time). Presents were given, and I'm pretty proud of our present, which was totes my idea - tickets to the Mousetrap at the Theatre Royal in Newcastle. That afternoon we went for dinner at boyfriend's aunt and uncle, ate too much (they literally stuffed me with two desserts, and tried to convince me I needed more), and then I failed a little bit at Charades (have you guys ever heard of the Molly Mcguires? Try miming that!!). And then it was suddenly our last night, we got a short film in and packed, and went to bed early because we had to get up early and train it down to London to get into work.

So what have I learned from this first Bank holiday as an adult?

Number 1: It always rains on Bank holidays. Wait...I already knew that.
Number 2: It's a good thing I'm not on holiday all the time. I would be the size of a whale.
Number 3: I need another holiday....


Comments