A Glorious Morning...and what looks like a Dreary Afternoon...

It's incredible what the combination of a warm, sunny morning, and a spot of exercise can do for the soul. Today I decided to start my week off right and run the two miles to the local pool, instead of taking the bus. Now, I know that I am certainly not cut out to be a runner so I walked most of the way and ran about half a mile in all, which is better than nothing. I'm also pretty realistic about the fact that when faced with the hill from Belvedere to upper Belvedere, I would sooner give up chicken nuggets for a year than sprint up it.

Well...that's today's chicken reference done. But seriously, having walked to the swimming pool on a beautifully sunshiney day, I'm feeling pretty happy with myself.

So of course it's all downhill from here. I emerged from the sports centre to find a grey cloudy sky, a sure sign of the long forecast rain. This might be acceptable if I was staying home the rest of the day, but I'm tutoring math this afternoon and just KNOW I'm gonna get caught in a freak shower!

Aaaand....that was where I left off writing this blog on the bus, ready to pick up as soon as I got home. Interesting how a day can go completely downhill in the space of minutes. I was planning to have a relaxed lunch, catch up on Grey's Anatomy, then address the comments on my paper. What happened instead, you ask? My laptop died. It just died, a sad horrible death that made me want to scream in horror. It froze, and then when I restarted it, the 'no access' sign appeared. And again and again.

Actually, this situation taught me that I can actually cope under pressure. I didn't burst out into hysterical tears and instead used my PhD taught skills - google it. Thank god for internet phones.

Long story short, and I mean four hours worth, I plugged in my backup and manage to restore the disk from there. Unfortunately, I hadn't backed up since January, so I lost some stuff, but thankfully all the emails have been recovered through a variety of resources. Thank God THANK GOD I thought to run the backup before we moved down here, otherwise the situation would be a lot worse!!!

So, not a dreary afternoon at all - sooooo much worse!!! It's been an afternoon of hell - now I'm going to go tutor some math, explain the importance of backing up a computer and pick up a congratulatory bottle of wine on the way home!!!

Comments