Upcoming Trip to Oz

So I'm doing something in this post that I don't usually do - which is discussing the future instead of talking about the past or present. I think that this will make a nice change, but will also be a good opportunity to give people an idea of what I've got going on this year and maybe give them (you) the chance to help me plan.

As I mentioned a few months ago, last year UCLan sent me on an observing trip with the GAMA team at the AAT in Coonabarabran, Australia. I thought that would be the last time I go on such a long trip for a while, but this year a great conference has come up, this time in Hunter Valley, Australia. Check out this link to find out more about this conference.

My supervisor is quite keen on me going out there again and she's pushed me to apply to give a talk at this conference. It'll be quite exciting if they agree to let me give one. But since Oz is such a mission away, I've decided to extend my trip and spend about three weeks out there.

Based on the flights I've found, I'll be flying out to Melbourne via Singapore, and arrive bright and early one morning in late May. A couple of friends from UCLan are currently on sabbatical at Monash University in Melbourne, and have invited me to stay there for a week. This will probably be the best part of the trip, cos there'll be plenty of drinking, merriment and fun. It's weird not having them around Preston anymore.

I'll then fly over to Sydney, where there's a bus waiting to take conference participants out to Hunter Valley, which is allegedly wine country. That'll be quite a fun week, where I'm sure I'll make lots of new friends, and meet some old supervisors and collaborators. And then I'll be going back to Sydney (Epping) for another week, where I'll be staying in AAO accomodation, working with some people from GAMA and exploring Sydney some more. I'll probably go on some awesome ferry trips, which are my favourite part of Sydney. Also, I've been asked to give a colloquium at the AAO, which I've got plenty of time to get super nervous about!!

So, that's the plan for end of May slash beginning of June. I've got loads of things to organise, so any tips/hints are always welcome :D


Comments