Some country pop tunes

I was sitting in the office yesterday, not listening to music for once. So when one of my office mates strolled in listening to his overly loud music on his ipod, I could actually hear it and noticed that it wasn't that standard hip-hop stuff he usually listens to, but something very familiar. In fact, he was listening to a song by Taylor Swift.

This really got me thinking. I've been a fan of Taylor ever since I first heard her music, but I am very aware that she fits into a genre that people my age, especially boys, don't really like. She plays and sings country pop - the kind of music I loved when I was a teenager, and the kind of music that always makes you feel good about yourself and makes you believe that life is always going to turn out right.

Here is an example of such a song - Taylor Swift's Mean. It's not the kind of song that you can listen to at the gym or dance to in a club, but watch the music video and you'll probably feel what I feel - your body feels lighter and you feel happier. It's a great feeling.

I guess this song also rather amuses me because now that I'm 24, I see how very childish the video is. It speaks to those teenage girls who are feeling down about their lives. It's probably a bit unrealistic, but who cares if it's going to make you feel happy for a little while?

Actually, I wonder if people watch Taylor Swift in these music videos and just get really envious of how pretty she is? I mean, honestly, if I looked like that when I was a teenager, or now, or ever, I think I would be the happiest person in the world.  Check out the next video, Taylor Swift's You Belong with Me. This is totes one of my favourite songs. And the music video is really fun. The only thing is, are those glasses she's wearing meant to make her look ugly or geeky?? Cos she totes pulls them off. Not too sure I would get away with wearing glasses like that. And also, that poor cheerleader is completely victimised. All she wants is for the hot girl-next-door to NOT steal her boyfriend. Can't say I really blame her :p

Anyway, I seem to have veered away from the point. Taylor Swift sings feel-good country songs that apparently not only appeal to teenage girls, but also muscular Romanian male Astrophysicists. An odd combination of audiences but maybe they have different reasons for enjoying her music. I just hope she continues producing great songs :D

Comments