NAMchester

 So today I find myself sitting in a lecture at the National Astronomy Meeting (NAM) in Manchester thinking - this is actually my first proper conference away from my University! I'm really liking the vibe here today. People are friendly and chatty, the talks I've been sitting in on have been either super interesting or really useful background knowledge, or just a combination of both. There's a really strong web-Twitter presence going on - people have been Tweeting lots of results from different parallel sessions, so although I'm sitting in on galaxy talks I'm getting lots of info on the updates with SCUBA2 in cosmology at the same time.

I'm presenting a poster at NAM - it shows some of the key results and topics I'm discussing in my forthcoming paper. You can see my poster on my work website: Moi. I'm quite proud of it really - posters are a massive pain to put together especially if, like me, you really suck at picking out good colours or having the patience to align things and make them look good.

A lot of my friends from St Andrews and other places are here so I've already been to the pub with them (last night) and tonight we've got the drinks reception at a museum, followed by dinner and more drinks somewhere. Since the conference is so close to home, I'll be training it back to Preston at the end of the night. Hope I don't fall asleep and miss my stop :(

I'll probably blog a couple more times this week about this conference - I expect there'll be lots of great chat and pubbage to report. Probably won't bother talking much about the science - you can always find out about that at #nam2012 if you're really interested.

Comments